Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Senior Day Score


I am becoming the mother of all grocery shoppers. I can sniff out a bargain and Senior Day at Albertsons is definitely part of the mix. There are still things that are cheaper at WalMart but I won't buy meat at WalMart and Albertsons has some good sales like cereal for $1 per box, eggs for $1 a dozen and best of all bread flour for $2 for a 5-lb. bag.

I only spent $40 and I got four of those bags of flour, a whole chicken and the necessary veggies for making chicken soup and then chicken pot pie with the soup chicken. Matzo balls may be another story since there wasn't a box of matzo meal to be had in the store....and believe me I'm not holding out hope of finding it at WalMart or Lowe's Fiesta Market. They did have matzo and macaroons and kosher for Passover cake mixes. They had gefilte fish in a jar and matzo ball soup mix but no matzo meal. I suppose I could grind matzo in my food processor...I'll have to think about it. Oh and they didn't have the jelly candies that nobody eats.

But I'm excited about making soup tomorrow. It's been a long time.

Oh and I should mention that we found a really good barbecue restaurant today. It's called Smokey Dick's and even though it's way over on the other side of town, it's definitely worth the drive. They have a slightly sweet sauce with a peppery aftertaste that lingers for just the right amount of time. They also have cole slaw made with pineapple

Excuse me if I chuckle but I'm watching a Republican congressman trying to spin their budget proposal. He's talking about a simplified tax option for the very wealthy that would lower their tax rate to ten or fifteen percent. He's arguing that it's not a tax break for the wealthy...it's "revenue neutral." This is what I hate about Republicans. They think that ordinary people are too dumb to do the math. The whole Bush administration was built on "because I said so."

Oh and one word on the Obamas in Europe. Don't you love the fact that Michelle wore a J.Crew sweater to meat the Queen. But i'm not sure about this gift giving stuff. They gave her an Ipod and somehow it doesn't seem like the ideal gift for the Queen. She'll probably re-gift it to her grandson.

1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy coleslaw with pineapple!
    I saw the meeting of the queen and thought it was the friendliest thing I had ever seen the queen doing. I did like Michelle's outfit, no airs for her.
    I hear the queen already had an ipod, I am not sure what one gives when visiting the queen..meatballs?

    ReplyDelete