Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Going to the Consignment Shop


It's come down to this, folks...I'm selling my clothes. In the old days when I had money, I spent a portion of it on J. Jill, Liz Claiborne, Sigrid Olsen and Juicy Couture. And I haven't worn any of it in years.

For two years while running the club my workday uniform consisted of sweat pants (in long, short and capri length) and my Club50 baseball shirts or T-shirts. It was comfy and reassuring that I didn't have to decide what to wear at 5 am. every morning.

So despite having pared down my wardrobe before I left Chicago, I had the closet that was rarely touched. I hung everything neatly when I moved in and then forgot about it except for a few occasions. There was synogogue on the high holidays, Scott and Colleen's wedding. Rosario's New Year's day brunch, the Chamber of Commerce Christmas party and trips back to Chicago. I'll admit I do not have most exciting personal life but that's basically the result of two years of working/sleeping/working/sleeping/working/etc/etc.

So that explains why the clothes are "very gently used."

I went through the summer stuff since that's what's selling now. I had some nice Sigrid Olsen summer pants but the woman at the store said she didn't need any more pants in my size because her rack was full. I looked at it and it was full, but full of plain black and brown pants. My Sigrid Olsen prints would really stand out.

Would you believe I had five pairs of athletic shorts, Reebok, Addidas and Nike. Some even still had the tags on them. I think I bought them figuring I'd wear them at the club in hot weather but they're way to short for me. It's an age-appropriate thing.

She did say that she would take jeans which is good because I had two pair of regular jeans, two pair of capri length jeans and one pair of white jeans. I'm hoping I'll get a good return on those.

I'm throwing in a couple of handbags as well. I parted with a bunch of purses before I left Chicago but I still have too many. I'll always have too many. But I' m not giving up the good ones because I'll never get what they're worth.

So I'll be reporting back here with the results of how much I take in and whether or not this is a worthwhile venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment