Friday, May 1, 2009

The Bureaucrats Squashed My Dreams


I went to the Dona Ana Department of Health today to find out what I needed to do to get licensed to sell casseroles at the weekly Farmer's Market. People have raved about my chicken pot pies and macaroni and cheese and I figured I could make a mark up of $3.25 on each individual serving. But just like the city bureaucrats that made me take down my banner at the club, the bureaucrats at the Department of Health told me flat out that they will not certify a home kitchen. Case closed.

Now we've all seen those stories on Food Network about the people with the killer salad dressing, brownie, toffee, fill-in-whatever you want. They start in their home kitchens and then the operation becomes so successful they have to expand to commercial kitchens. Well none of those stories was ever filmed in this town because you just can't make it happen.

I understand about Health Department Regulations and I have steam cleaned my kitchen to within an inch of its life. Germs are not growing on my watch. I know all about cross contamination and have separate cutting boards and knives for meat and vegetables and know to keep cooked food away from raw food and use bleach water to clean all surfaces. I've fed hundreds of people with not one incident of illness. Can Taco Bell claim that?

1 comment:

  1. That casserole looks delicious. Could you advertise to cook and freeze several meal using the customer's kitchen. If I lived near you I would pay to to cook in my kitchen.

    Best wishes to you.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete