Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Saving on Utilities


I was not happy with my gas/water/city services bill last month. It was not huge but it was bigger than last month because I am using more water and gas these days. Most of it is the result of my baking and dishwashing. I am cutting down on the baking as we get into summer but I don't know if I'm ready to give up the dishwasher.

I am becoming a martyr to the heat. We've had four days of 90 degree weather and I haven't turned on the air conditioning. I am making do with fans and really it is only uncomfortable from about 4 to 6 in the late afternoon. When the sun goes down it's actually quite cool and by the time I wake up in the morning I am wrapped up in blankets because it is cold. I get out of bed, turn off the fans and start all over again.

I am cutting my laundry back to every two weeks instead of every week. I did an assessment and found I had enough clothes so I could last two weeks. That will save on both water and gas. I have no room to put up a clothesline (and it's probably against neighborhood rules) or I would hang the laundry because in the desert things dry in about 10 minutes. I haven't used a blow dryer on my hair since I've been down here.

I haven't used the gas grill in a while either. So we'll see what next month's bill brings. Electricity has been down (mostly because of not using the AC)

No comments:

Post a Comment