Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lets Start with the Background


It is the 3rd of March, 2009. My business has been closed for two months now.

I'm going to give a synopsis of what happened in the first two months of the year.

January was awful. I tried to save my club and save money getting released from my lease by handing it over to a woman who said she would run it as an independent club and assume the rest of my lease in exchange for the equipment and furniture. She turned out to be a bit of a looney tune and backed out at the very last minute. I ended up having to settle with my landlord for cash and assets to avoid bankruptcy, liens, courts and all that bad stuff.

I could see their side because the same economy that knocked out my business would make it difficult for them to re-let the space. On the other hand they knew that basically I had nothing for them to sue me for and so any "bird in the hand" offer would be better than a lengthy court battle. I didn't want to take any chances since I do own property in Chicago with my cousin and couldn't risk them being able to seize that property.

To make a long story short, I am now freed of my business obligations and about to start a new life. But before I could start something new I needed to decompress and get rid of the stress and anxiety from the last few months.

So I promised myself a vacation. I took three weeks..longer than I've ever taken to travel and tried to leave all my worries behind. I drove to LA, got on a cruise ship to Hawaii, came back to LA and spent some time with my sister. Then I stopped in Arizona to see my beloved Cubs at spring training.

Now that I'm home I have some plans to support myself and decided to keep this record of my attempts to run a home-based business, maybe get a part time job and live like a poor person until I get back on my feet economically.

Unlike Rush Limbaugh, I hope that President Obama succeeds wildly with his economic recovery plan. It may be too late for my business but it would definitely help others.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for you. This will be an interesting year.

    ReplyDelete