Friday, March 13, 2009

Welcome to the Ranks of the Newly Poor


I was having a conversation the other day about the fact that I heard the Smashing Pumpkins' song Today on a Visa commercial. I said I had gotten used to hearing the Beatles songs in commercial because they no longer owned the publishing rights. Michael Jackson bought the entire catalog around 20 years ago and it's probably one of his main sources of income. I didn't think, however that the Pumpkins would sell out. My friend said Billy Corgan (leader of the Pumpkins) can't seem to find his musical compass these days and therefore probably decided to cash in for the cash.

I can totally understand that. No need to be self-righteous when you're poor.

So I was thinking what with the Bernie Madoff scandal and all, there are probably a lot of newly poor who many be selling off some assets. I found the list of Madoff's victims on the Wall Street Journal website and perhaps I can help them list a few things on Ebay if they want.

Steven Speilberg must have tons of movie props to auction off. I personally wouldn't pay a nickel for that creepy ET costume but I'm sure someone would.

Leonard Feinstein, co-founder of Bed, Bath and Beyond, if you're reading I'm sorry I didn't buy those towels to match my shower curtain so if you still have any, I'll take a couple off your hands.

Kevin Bacon will now (for a small price) come to your house and do his Footloose routines.

Zsa Zsa Gabor...I don't think she has anything anyone would want anymore.

Sandy Koufax...you know this is where I draw the line. You can scam Larry King and Phyllis George and Jeffrey Katzenberg and Marc Rich and everyone else on that list, but when you cheat one of baseball's greats...this is the crime of the century.

No comments:

Post a Comment