Monday, March 23, 2009

Toying with a New Idea


I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking and have been trying to think of ways I could turn this into a business. The picture above is my batch of oddly shaped sugar-free butter cookies made with Splenda. They're not as sweet as regular butter cookies but they're pretty good. They're just oddly shaped because when I rolled the dough into a log and put it into the fridge to set it sort of settled and got flat on the bottom.

Anyway, while watching the Food Network I saw these two ladies in Austin, Texas who call themselves the Casserole Queens. They produce large (for four) and small (for two) casseroles and deliver them to people. I was thinking about the same thing with some of my depression-era cooking but instead of delivering them, selling them from a booth at the Farmer's Market. It only costs a couple of bucks to rent a space at the Market but I do need to go down to one of the city offices to get their rules and regs for selling food. I need to find out about liability and what I need to do about food safety.

I also need to have provisions for hot and cold. Cold is easy...the market is only open for four hours so the casseroles will hold easily in a cooler. I would also like hot so I could hand out samples. That's a little trickier since there's no access to electricity. But I'm working on it.

You've probably seen all the publicity on the so called "victory gardens" that everyone seems to be planting (even our first lady). I'm not very good at growing vegetables especially here in New Mexico where the hot sun can easily fry the plants. I've always found it's cheaper to buy tomatoes than to grow them...or better yet...find a friend who's good at growing them and wait for them to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment