Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More Background


I must say that if you're going to be a poor person, Las Cruces is a good place to be. The cost of living is way lower than most cities and while I admit that we're lacking in a few amenities, the internet allows me reasonable access to the rest of the world. Twenty years ago, even ten years ago I wouldn't be able to live here. I wouldn't be able to frugally keep in touch with friends and family not to mention keeping up with my Cubs, being able to buy obscure books, music and movies and finding like minded people to hang with.

And of course there's the weather. I might have a little trouble managing the electric bill when we get into those 100 degree days in June but my heating bills have been reasonable and there's something very mood lifting about being able to drive around with your sunroof open in February.

With the demise of my fitness club my primary task is to find a way to make money. Looking for a real job and getting back into the IT rat race is not very appealing. However, in this economy you must make maximum use of your skills and if your skills are in IT, you're going to be working in IT.

I decided to put a new twist on it. I did enjoy working with the over 50 crowd who came to the club and ever since 1994 when my dad (who was 80 at the time) came to me and said he wanted to get a computer. I learned how to translate geekspeak into plain English and most of all, I'm very patient.

So I started SeniorTech offering tech support and most of all instruction to people over 50. Seniors learn better one on one rather than in classes and I help them with things they don't teach in those classes like how to do Google searches or sell something on Ebay. They're all getting digital cameras now with no idea how to use them.

Early next week I will have a mailing to send out to my mailing list from my club. I have a few clients already and word is spreading. Also, today is Senior Discount Day at the grocery store so I'm going there this afternoon to hand out flyers.

Obviously it would be great if SeniorTech could support me completely but I have a feeling it won't, at least at the beginning so I'm also looking for a part time job, preferably one where I don't have to wear a paper hat. I've got feelers out there for all sorts of jobs from freelance writing to working at the Hobby Lobby. We will see what happens on that front.

So through this blog I will be reporting on these and all the issues that affect poor people like grocery and gas prices, healthcare, further education and politics.

Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

  1. Karen,
    Hi, and welcome home from your world beating trivia contest winning Hawaiian tour. I enjoyed your blog during the trip. I am sorry that you had such rough seas and had mal de mer. Judging by your political fuzziness I am sorry that you are still suffering. (Had to get that in.) I applaud your decision to go back into Senior IT training. I am positive about three things. You will excel at it, you will enjoy it, and everyone that you help will be better off from the learning experienc and the fun they will have working with you. The challenge making money aside, this is a great opportunity. Perhaps you could hook up with a community or church affiliated orginzation to offer your IT training. By the way, I was 50 when I joine CBK, and you taught me a lot, you may want to add me as a testimonial.

    Anyway, the economy has taken its toll @ CBK this year. Barb Miller, Sally and Marion Cain were all let go. So far that is the only shoe to drop. Molly Fausone is a freshman @ Stanford and doing very well, Carter left to go to AMB. Everyone is struggling but in good health.

    This is my first attempt at "Blogging" and I am not sure of the protocal. I am not sure how to work this, as I am asked to comment with seveal accounts (google, Live Journal, World Press etc) and I don't have any of them. So I am sending ths as "anonymous" not because I am a Liberal blogger, but because I don't know how else to log in. Hope all's well and I look forward to watching your success!
    Jim Degnan

    ReplyDelete